eNews: Stephen & Evelyn Wesco Going to Taiwan
April 19, 2009
Dear Praying Friends,
The Lord has given us the opportunity to minister for three weeks in Kaohsiung, Taiwan. However, this is not just a short-term mission trip. We are seeking the Lord's will regarding His direction for us in long-term missions.
During our single years, the Lord laid a burden on both of us individually regarding missions. We are now seeking His will for us as a married couple and for our family. An opportunity opened up for us this year to spend several weeks with missionaries already established in Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
The missionaries will be involving us in their ministry, giving Stephen opportunities to teach and minister in chalk art, and for Evelyn to assist in music. We will also be helping in practical needs within the church, such as cleaning and building maintenance. In addition to their local ministry, the missionaries will introduce us to other ministries and needs in Taiwan.
Even though Taiwan has received heavy western influence, the needs are great, especially with 93% of the population believing in Buddhism and Taoism. In addition to idolatry and superstition, materialism and worship of education have permeated the society. Kaohsiung is located on the southern portion of the island and has a population of about 1.5 million. It is the second-largest city in the country, after Taipei. The field is wide open for harvest!
"Brethren, pray for us that the word of the Lord may have free course and be glorified!"Specific prayer requests:
- Safety in travel (20 hours travel time one way)
- Safe transportation of equipment and supplies
- Health - pray for us as we adjust to the tropical climate and new time zone. Pray also for Evelyn and Baby's health.
- Cornerstone Baptist Church and the missionaries with whom we will be ministering
- Effective ministry - that the Word of God would have free course and be glorified
- Pray for Stephen as he is scheduled to preach and teach several times
- Pray that God will give us His love for each soul that we meet
- Lord's leading as we seek His will regarding the possibility of long-term missions in Taiwan
In Christ’s service and loving it,
Stephen & Evelyn Wesco